ISLAM, MUSLIMS & THE WORLD
Committed to building a purer, healthier and more peaceful world; and highlighting the contributions of Islam and Muslims to this Cause
Owner & Chief Editor
Dr. Javed Jamil
The launching of the magazine, registered under the title ‘Islam, Muslims & the World’ is planned. The magazine will be refreshingly different in its content from what we find in the general run-of magazines and newspapers. It will not be restricted to issues of concern to Muslims, it will rather focus on the role – present and prospective – of Muslims in the present day. It will seek to highlight how Islam can be invoked to resolve the problems being faced by the world by focusing on the role of Islam and Muslims in the current world – their achievements, their positive and potential contributions and the analysis of the world developments in the context of Islamic principles. It will present Islam and Muslims as the Solution and not the problem. The world today will be viewed from the Islamic point of view rather than viewing Islam and Muslims from the point of view of current world ideologies. The magazine will try to restore confidence in our community and will assure them that they are playing and can play a much more important and constructive role than they are credited with. It will not deal with controversial issues related to sects within Islam; it will avoid communal issues and will try to bring all religions together against the evils and forces of evil destroying the collective equanimity of mankind.
Islam, Muslims & the World is designed to be an international magazine dealing with international issues. It will present Islam as a System for the World and Muslims as a Dynamic Community that can provide a proper and resurgent leadership to mankind.
Islam, Muslims & the World will pass the test of global standards and acceptability. It will primarily target Muslims but will be of considerable interest to non-Muslims who are interested in finding a viable alternative to the systems that have failed.
Aims and objectives
1. To promote the comprehensive definition of peace, consistent with Islam, which includes physical, mental, social and spiritual health of individuals, family peace (proper relationship between all members of family and Social Order (social and economic security of all) in this world and Pleasure of God in Hereafter;
2. To show through statistics that the true peace is on continuous decline;
3. To disseminate awareness about the dangers of the ideology of economic fundamentalism, which refers to the dominance of economics in all the spheres of life;
4. To highlight the adverse impact of Fundamental Prohibitions on society including alcohol, gambling, smoking, drugs, commercialization of sex leading to promiscuity, prostitution and pornography, violence, economic, political and social exploitation, etc.
5. To highlight the role of Islam in building a purer, healthier and more peaceful world. This will help in the emergence of Applied Islamics as a full-fledged discipline of Islamic sciences;
6. To bring Muslims out of the inferiority complex that has seized them partly due to their own deficiencies but more so due to creation and promotion of false criteria by the vested interests
7. To show to the world that Muslim societies have much lesser degrees of crimes, problems due to alcohol, drugs and sexual corruption, family peace in Muslim societies outscores others and as followers of Islam they enjoy much greater mental peace;
8. To highlight the achievements of Muslims as individuals, organizations and countries;
9. To provide basic information about Islam, its symbols, Fundamental Rights, Duties and Prohibitions, its important figures, its institutions, its history, etc
10. To disseminate the knowledge of Quran and Sunnah in a way that appeals to the modern day man;
11. To bridge the gulf between different religions and societies particularly between West and Muslims and between Hindus and Muslims;
12. To bring all religions on a common platform against social evils, economic disparity and moral depravity;
13. To build up a campaign at the national and international level against the economic and political fundamentalisms;
14. To develop among Muslims a national and global perspective, and to augment their impact at the global level;
15. To diffuse communal and sectarian tensions by diverting attention to more pressing issues;
16. To conduct surveys and studies for the purpose of attaining its objectives;
17. To develop a strong and effective media;
18. To bring about integration and understanding among intellectuals, religious Scholars and pontiffs to create inter-faith harmony for the benefit of humanity and to save humanity from the impact of unhealthy social and cultural trends promoted by vested interests;
19. To effectively answer the misstatements and misgivings about Islam;
20. To expose war mongers, riots engineers, terrorists and other non-humanitarian activists being committed by unscrupulous people in the name of any religion, ideology or concept
Strategy for self-financing
The first target will be to have a circulation of 100,000 copies. With the kind of the format designed for it, it is hoped that the magazine will attract funds from several sources:
Good number of advertisements are expected to flow, especially from
* Airlines, especially related to countries that are being featured and the countries whose heads are being profiled
* Touring Agencies
* Companies that are being profiled
* Celebrities that are being profiled
* Companies that have interests in the countries which are being focused in the issues and whose heads are being profiled
* Muslim business houses
* Muslim schools and colleges;
* Islamic Financial Institutions
* Muslim hotels
For the first issue, contacts and credentials of the people associated with the magazine will be utilized. Afterwards, the advertisements will start automatically flowing in. If the sales are good, almost all the advertisers will develop interest in the magazine.
2. through the contributions from philanthropists
The concept of the magazine is revolutionary; the aims and objectives of the magazine are sure to strike the imagination of peace loving and Islam loving people. These contributions will be of immense help in sustaining the magazine especially in its first year.
3. Sponsored feature
One of the regular features of the magazine will be regarding the up coming entrepreneurs who want their work to be recognized. They will pay a specific amount for getting their profiles published in the magazine
For the first issue, congratulatory messages will be invited from people with the request ti pay Rs 3000. It will be accompanied by a small photograph and their designation. If we get 50 messages, it will be a good boost for the magazine.
4. Subscription Drive
Immediately after the publication of the first issue, at least 50 sales representatives will tour big cities to make annual subscribers. Cost of the issue will be Rs 25/- and the annual subscription Rs 250/- 6 month subscription will be 130/- These 50 representatives are expected to collect 2000.- each per day which will be a substantial sum for future successes.
Apart from the sales in public, the copies of the magazine will reach
1. More than 2000 public libraries
2. Libraries of all the universities
3. Libraries of all Engineering Colleges
4. Libraries of all medical colleges
5. Libraries of all management colleges
6. Libraries of Muslim degree colleges
7. Departments of all Muslim universities
8. Library of Parliament and all Assemblies
9. Library of Supreme court and all High Courts
10. District Judges of all districts
11. Libraries of organizations like UNICEF, WHO
12. All embassies in New Delhi
13. All the major Muslim companies
14. All the major political and non political organizations
15. Muslim organizations in different countries
16. All the members of Parliament and Assemblies
17. Writers and columnists
18. All the major channels, magazines and newspapers in India
19. Major NGOs
20. Bar Council libraries of all districts
Electronic Version will reach
1. Islamic scholars all over the world;
2. Islamic organizations all over the world;
3. Other sociologists, economists, philosophers and scientists
4. Institutions and universities
Rates of Advertisements and sponsored column
Full Cover Back Page (Coloured) Rs 100, 000
Full Inside pages of the cover(coloured) 75000
Full Internal ages 30,000
Half pages 16,000
Quarter pages 8,000
Sponsored profiles (Half page with one photograph) 20000
Messages (congratulations, one photo, designation and address) 3000
Life Membership 5000
Life Membership for foreign residents 20, 000
Matrimonial (25 words) 1000
Continuity of the project
Once the first issue is out, the subscription drive will help in the stabilization of the project. The contents of the magazine, the format, get up etc will help the magazine get more and more advertisements. We can then launch a subsequent patron-ship and life membership drive.
Cost estimation and expected resources
The initial expenses are mainly related to the printing and launching ceremony. Printing will require around Rs 8, 00, 000. (This may become more if we have a large number of interviews under the India Election Scene, which in that case will be published as a separate supplement, and is expected to earn its cost through contributions from these political leaders themselves.) The launching ceremony at New Delhi will require around Rs 100,000. This amount is to be collected through personal contacts. It is expected that India Islamic Cultural Centre will help in this regard.
3) International Panel of Experts:
We have already a few names and more names are expected to be added soon. The expected list includes the following
Patrons: Maulana Rabey Nadvi, Nazim Nadwatul Ulama, Lucknow, Maulana Salim Qasmi, Nazim Darul Uloom Deoband (Waqf) Maulana Abdullah Ajrarvi, Mr Rasheed Masood, MP, Mr K. Rahman Khan, MP, Mr. Obaidullah Khan Azmi, MP, , Mr. Sanjay Garg, Minister, Govt of UP, Mr. Siraj Qureshi, Chairman India Islamic Cultural Centre, Mr. Syed Farooque, Industrialist, Mr. Nadeem Tareen, Industrialist, Mr. Amanullah Khan, Islamic Develop Bank representative in India, Mr. Hamdard Foundation
Mr SGP Jafry, Canada, Mr. Mike Ghouse, Chairman, World Muslim Congress, USA, Ms Anisa Abdel Fattah, Chairwoman of the National Association of Muslim American Women, Syed Hamid, Chancellor, Jamia Hamdard,Farid Chaudhary, Kuwait, Dr Shahnaz Hasan, Prof Emeritus, Chicago, US, Dr Mohsin Raza, Tehran University, Dr Irafan Khan, Chicago, Qazi Ashfaq Ahmad, Chairman IFEW, Australia, Mr Zahid Jamil, Australia
Editorial Advisors: Mr. Bharat Jhunjhunwala, renowned columnist, Mr. Basir Khan, Pro VC IGNOU, Dr Masood Hasan, Prof. Emeritus, Manglatan University, Mr. Kamruddin, Bangalore, Prof, Lalit Mohan Nath, Former Director, AIIMS, New Delhi, Stephanie Crane, US
Some of them have already accepted. Others are expected to confirm soon. The list is expected to grow substantially.
a) Names of Writers who will be contributing articles. Under Process: The first issue will have articles from Mike Ghouse, USA, Ms Stephanie Crane, USA, Mr. Shamim Siddiqui, USA, Ms Anisa Abd Fateh Ali, USA, Mr. GP Jafry, Canada, Mr. Zahid amil, Australia, Mr. Bharat Jhunjuhunwala, Mr. Yogesh Chibber, Mr. Wasi Nomani, Mr. Rahman Khan, MP, Mr Rashid Masood, MP, Mr. Saiyid Hamid and many others
b) Correspondents: As the magazine is monthly based mainly on information, profiles and essays, separate full time correspondents will not be required. Services of some correspondents can be availed for specific purposes.
5) Research and identification:
Potential readership and targeting them to seek subscription.
Our target is to reach every educated Muslim home, those non-Muslims who have slightest inclination to understand the world issues from the Islamic or Muslim point of view, every institution, every university and college, every NGO, every business group, every intellectual. A big subscription drive will be launched immediately after the launching ceremony. Initially, this will cover major cities and then smaller cities.
Addresses of thousands of educated persons are being collected through Internet. The first issue will be sent to them as a complimentary copy and subsequently they will be approached for annual subscriptions. People will be informed also through Emails and Net groups about the launching of the magazine. Later on, advertisement about the magazine issues can be given in popular newspapers and magazines.
6) Full time Editorial Responsibility
Dr Javed Jamil: Chief Editor
Syed Adil: Editor
Yogesh Chhibber: Associate Editor
Jalal Umar: Associate Editor
Full time Marketing responsibility: To be decided
The First Issue will focus on (not necessarily in the same order)
1. Ka’ba: the Symbol of Unity and Universal Brotherhood: History, Importance & Structure
2. Encyclopedia of Islam: Allah
3. Dr. Abdul Kalam: the Architect of India as a Major Global Power
4. Applied Islamics: Are Muslims Enemies of Peace?; Sexual revolution: Nemesis of Civilisation
5. President of UAE: A Man with a Mission
6. Malaysia: A Unique Blend of Islam and Modernity
7. Islamic Development Bank: Making a Global Impact
8. Ayatollah Khamenei: the Most Influential Islamic Aalim
9. Muslims of America: Important Muslim organizations, Muslim achievers, Opinion of Muslims about America and its internal and external policies, cultural issues, religious issues, etc.
10. India Islamic Cultural Centre, New Delhi: Serving the People in Style
11. Shoeb Akhtar, International Cricketer: Immensely Talented, Equally Undisciplined
12. Debate: Bridging the Gulf: West and Islamic World: Opinions of Important personalities from all over the world
13. Indian Election Scene Supplement I: Interviews with Outgoing Muslim MPs
14. The World of Chaos: Causes of Avoidable Deaths in last 25 years (In Figures)
15. Jamia Millia: Students in Action for Pride
16. Selection from Urdu Poetry
17. Rising High: Profiles of Entrepreneurs and other eminent Personalities and emerging greats: Sponsored Feature
18. Monthly Diary of Events
19. Public opinion: letters: Messages for the first issue
20. From the world press
21. Children’s and Women’s sections
Address: 10, Bhagwati Colony, Behat Road, Saharanpur, 247001, (UP), INDIA Phones: 91-132-2680440, 6980356
Noida Office: B-76, II Floor, Sector 64 NOIDA, Phone: 9312908522, 9810610115;
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
22. Editorial: Towards a purer, healthier and more peaceful world
23. Ka’ba: the Symbol of Unity and Universal Brotherhood: History, Importance & Structure
24. Encyclopedia of Islam: Allah: Etymology, Theories, Comparative study with other religions, Functions of God, Allah in Quran
25. Dr. Abdul Kalam: the Architect of India as a Major Global Power
26. Applied Islamics: Are Muslims Enemies of Peace?; Sexual revolution: Nemesis of Civilisation
27. Malaysia: A Unique Blend of Islam and Modernity
28. Islamic Development Bank: Making a Global Impact
29. Ayatollah Khamenei: the Aalim who also rules
30. Muslims of America: Important Muslim organizations, Muslim achievers, Opinion of Muslims about America and its internal and external policies, cultural issues, religious issues, etc.
31. India Islamic Cultural Centre, New Delhi: Serving the People in Style
32. Shoeb Akhtar, International Cricketer: Immensely Talented, Equally Undisciplined
33. Debate: Bridging the Gulf: West and Islamic World: Opinions of Important personalities from all over the world
34. Religious and Scientific Education: Dilemma
35. Indian Election Scene Supplement I: Interviews with Outgoing Muslim MPs
36. The World of Chaos: Causes of Avoidable Deaths in last 25 years (In Figures)
37. Jamia Millia: Surging Ahead in Excellence
38. Selection from Urdu Poetry
39. Rising High: Profiles of Muslim Entrepreneurs and other eminent personalities and emerging greats: Sponsored Feature
40. Monthly Diary of Events
41. Public opinion: letters: Messages for the first issue
SUCCESSFUL NAATIA MUSHAERA ON 2.21.14
45 PICTURES AT: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeghouse/sets/72157641382648224/
August 19, 2013| Dallas, Texas
Text/Talk: (214) 325-1916
Mirza A Beg
PLANNED MUSLIMS RESPONSE TO QUR'AN BURNING BY PASTOR JONES ON 9/11/13 IN MULBERRY, FLORIDA
We as Muslims plan to respond to pastor Terry Jones' planned burning of 3000 copies of Quran on September 11, 2013 in positive terms.
Our response - we will reclaim the standard of behavior practiced by the Prophet concerning “scurrilous and hostile criticism of the Qur’an” (Muhammad Asad Translation Note 31, verse 41:34). It was "To overcome evil with good is good, and to resist evil by evil is evil." It is also strongly enjoined in the Qur’an in the same verse 41:34, “Good and evil deeds are not equal. Repel evil with what is better; then you will see that one who was once your enemy has become your dearest friend.”
God willing Muslims will follow the divine guidance and pray for the restoration of Goodwill, and on that day many Muslim organizations will go on a “blood drive” to save lives and serve humanity with kindness.
We invite fellow Americans of all faiths, races, and ethnicities to join us to rededicate the pledge, “One nation under God”, and to build a cohesive America where no American has to live in apprehension, discomfort or fear of fellow Americans. This event is a substitute for our 10th Annual Unity Day Celebration (www.UnitydayUSA.com) held in Dallas, but now it will be at Mulberry, Florida.
Unwittingly Pastor Jones has done us a favor by invigorating us by his decision to burn nearly 3000 copies Quran on September 11, 2013. Obviously he is not satisfied by the notoriety he garnered by burning one Qur'an last year.
As Muslims and citizens we honor the free speech guaranteed in our constitution. We have no intentions to criticize, condemn or oppose Pastor Terry Jones' freedom of expression. Instead, we will be donating blood and praying for goodness to permeate in our society.
We plan to follow Jesus Christ (pbuh), a revered prophet in Islam as well as Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) – that of mitigating the conflicts and nurturing good will for the common good of the society.
We hope, this event and the message will remind Muslims elsewhere in the world as well, that violence is not the way. Muslims, who react violently to senseless provocation, should realize that, violence causes more violence, and besmirches the name of the religion that we hold so dear. We believe that Prophet Muhammad was a mercy to the mankind, and we ought to practice what we believe and preach. We must not insult Islam by the negative reactions of a few.
We can only hope it will bring about a change in the attitude of the followers of Pastor Jones, and in the behavior of those Muslims who reacted violently the last time Pastor sought notoriety – We hope this small step towards a bridge to peaceful coexistence would propel us towards building a cohesive society.
Like most Americans a majority of Muslims quietly go about their own business, but it is time to speak up and take positive action instead of negative reaction. May this message of peace and goodwill reverberate and reach many shores.
Lastly, we appreciate the Citizens of Mulberry, Florida, Honorable Mayor George Hatch, City Commissioners, police and Fire Chiefs for handing this situation very well. This will add a ‘feather of peace’ in the City’s reputation. We hope Mulberry will be a catalyst in showing the way in handling conflict with dignity and peace.
We thank the Media for giving value to the work towards peace rather than conflict.
The people in Dallas are making an effort to understand and clean their own hearts first, when we are free from bias, it would be easy to share that with others. Islam teaches us in so many ways to "respect the otherness of others" and it is time we find simple practical ways of doing it.